Saturday 10 December 2011

Sneak-peek saboteurs

Lately I have been on the receiving end of a faux pas from the well-intentioned.

As they peel away the curtain of my pram, they loudly administer admirations upon precious my infant reassuring me that my child is, in fact, a cute one. They coo "what beautiful eyelashes", and "ohh, look at her teeny tiny toes!" to make my chest swell with pride. It's all very kind and I shouldn't feel fury - but I do. And here's why.

When my bub is asleep, it would be great if she could stay that way. Usually, it's taken me a fair bit of time to get her into that perfect state of slumber. And the reason she looks like a sleeping angel is because she is (and here's the interesting bit) sleeping. It's when she's awake that she descends into devilry and I do all that I can within my power to avoid that outcome.

My humble request is that the muslin sheet curtain is left tightly tied around my pram. Think of it as a "Keep Out" sign if you will. My dear friends, resist your urges to have that solitary sneak-peek which might just stir my child awake. Tell me instead that you can imagine how beautiful Frankie is, especially if she takes after me. (Because, after all, there's no point in totally wasting your flattery....)

No comments:

Post a Comment