Monday 20 February 2012

An outpouring of love.

Frankie is now five months old. I am already so in love with her that I wonder how my heart will be able to cope with a lifetime of further love to come.

When she gets food all over her face and wedged up her nostrils, I can't help but lick little bits off. I love her plump deliciousness.

When she pulls my hair I smile and wince simultaneously; everything she sees is teaching her something new!

When I recite my favourite Mem Fox book to Frankie as she lies on her back in the crib, she reaches out her chubby fingers and traces the shape of my face. It seems as though she is trying to commit it to memory before sleep engulfs her. When I close the door to her room so that she can fall deep into her dreams, I grieve a little because she is only going to grow in her sleep and will be even bigger when we meet again in the morning.

Today I felt like writing a small tribute to love. What Frankie has given to me is joy, pure and simple. I feel as though I am closer to understanding the meaning of life as a result of her teaching. I look forward to the times ahead - each stage rich with its own perks and challenges - and I thank the heavens for giving me such a wonderful, healthy child. Somebody up there likes me...

No comments:

Post a Comment